Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Rob Bell Bandwagon

...I'm jumping on...why?  Well...because I want too so there!

So if you are a little late to the party and have no idea what the up roar is about...click here  http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2011/02/26/rob-bell-universalist/

If you don't know who Rob Bell is...well, you might want to grab a cup of coffee while we chat.

So, go click that link...you MUST watch the video and come back...

Okay, so we're all caught up?
Well, if you are on twitter, or maybe even FB, then this is everywhere, and everyone has an opinion and almost everyone is quite aggressive...almost foaming at the mouth kind of aggressive.  My goodness, it seems like people were just waiting in the wings for the slightest little...GOTCHA!  Whew, its, well, embarrassing.
One such twitter post was from John Piper:
"Farewell Rob Bell"

Wow...just wow.  (not that I need another reason to not care for Mr. Piper...but he gave me one anyway...yes, I'm entitled to that opinion too...)

So, as people were busy tying Rob to the stack and gathering the kindling and matches...I was thinking and asking D'vegas what his thoughts were.  Ever the nice and truly authentic person he is, his response was "I don't know."

So, I'm left to muddle through this alone...sigh...here I go.

I have two frames of thought..
1.) THE BOOK ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!!
I am a HUGE advocate for creating an assessment AFTER getting the facts.  People were using the book as a reference point for all of their arguments and it's not even available to read...seriously.  As far as I'm concerned I agree with the title...does that make me a Universalist?  Yoi!

2.) That being said, watching the video is enough for me...to question and tread VERY carefully until clarification FROM Rob Bell is made on his comments in the video.  As much as I agree that Love Wins...it won when Christ came...God set a system in place, that created a system that was about impossible to adhere too, in order to spend eternity (and the here and now) with Him...BUT He loved us so incredibly much, that He made an out.  He set up the system, and He redeemed the system and made it accessible to ALL through Christ.  That shows that God is a loving and good God...not the fact He wouldn't send anyone to hell (which I don't believe)

SO, what am I saying...I'm saying I don't agree with Rob Bell...that my interest is piqued on finding out more on his stand on universalism...and that even though I think those things, I would never EVER attack or feel I had the right to ...gasp...condemn him. Ridiculousness people...call your watchdogs back and relax...

*Sidenote...For the record an author whose writing I adore and has spoken and inspired me very much, was not too long ago put on the Southern Baptist Convention Watchlist for being occultic...you may have read one of his books Ragamuffin Gospel...yeah, Brennan Manning.

Be very careful which direction the bandwagon is going when you jump on it...wolves are a little bit harder to spot when there are a bunch around.

Curious as to your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. Great post seadawg...struggling with this because I liked RB at catalyst...no question he said and says things to ruffle feathers, make you think at best. Then the twitter fury hit. I refuse to bad mouth men (and women) of God publicly but I will put an extra filter/check on anything that come from the RB camp because of this. Not to mention Piper might have doubled RB's bottomline. In cahoots maybe?

    Antdoubro

    ReplyDelete